Based in Copenhagen, Denmark
PC: June 27, 2018
Switch: October 6th, 2022
A platform puzzle paint adventure about breaking rules, being upside down and thinking outside the box.
When Youropa is torn apart, you must walk the walls in a strange fragmented city, in order to restore it and learn who you really are.
Walk upside down, on walls, in fact walk anywhere you can get to. Your suction cup feet let's you stick to any surface. You will unlock new abilities, encounter physical puzzles, secrets, ferocious enemies, paint your character and much more, in an abstract but logical universe that challenges your perception of the third dimension.
In Create Mode you can build your own levels while playing them. And you can share your levels and character designs with other players.
Youropa is made with passion by a small group of friends over a period of 15 years.
- Gravity Defying Gameplay - Walk upside down, on walls, in fact walk anywhere you can get to. Your suction cup feet let's you stick to any surface.
- Mind Bending Puzzles - Solve complex logical & physical puzzles using your unique abilities.
- Evolve & Explore - Learn new abilities and use them to explore the fragmented city further.
- Create Your Own Game - Built-in level, map and character editors let's you build an entirely new game using simple tools. You'll be creating in minutes.
Youropa - Announcement Trailer - Nintendo Switch YouTube
Steam Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Game Of The Show - Runner Up" Indie Garden Assembly, Valenciennes France, February 2018
- "Nordic Game Discovery Contest - Wild Card Selection" Nordic Game, Malmö Sweden, May 2018
- "Technical Achievement" Spilprisen, Denmark, April 2019
- "A Decade Of Dreaming – The Story of frecle and Youropa"
- Edward Price, GameAnalytics
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
frecle allows for the contents of Youropa to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Youropa is legally & explicitly allowed by frecle. This permission can be found in writing at http://kit.frecle.net/sheet.php?p=youropa.
frecle is a tiny independent game studio. We develop games, interaction and technology from the ground up.
More information on frecle, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Here's a brief outline of some of the events during the development and a few fun facts.
- Youropa started development in 2007 by Lasse Cleveland and Mikkel Fredborg. In early 2008 it was a full time project. From 2009-2014 it was a part time project in between consulting jobs.
- In 2009, after months of negotiations, it nearly got signed by Microsoft for Xbox 360 Live Arcade. The final signature never came, we were broke, and the project was practically cancelled.
- After having been on hold for a couple of years, we launched a Kickstarter campaign in 2014 which failed spectacularily. Youropa was cancelled for good and frecle was shut down. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1970306974/youropa
- In April 2017 Mikkel Fredborg rebooted the development along with a small team, and the game was released on Steam in June 2018 after a little over a year of full time development.
- In August 2019 Youropa was announced for Nintendo Switch as part of a Nintendo Indie World Showcase. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRYew1R3-bA&t=499s
- From 2019 - 2022 Mikkel Fredborg developed the Nintendo Switch version in the spare time. Youropa launches on Switch on October 6th 2022 with hundreds of improvements and new features.
- Youropa is created using a custom game engine, written from the ground up in C++
- The first controller we added support for was the original Wiimote.
- The original building block system was in place after the first week of development.
- Youropa was originally meant to take place over several European cities.
- Youropa contains refrences to Calvin & Hobbes, Le Grand Bleu, Jacques Tati and many more.
Game Director, Programming, Art
Art, Character Design, Animation
Level Design, Additional Game Design, User Testing
Additional Character Animation